Honda Announces the Winner of the National ASIMO Essay Contest
ASIMO thanks all of the schools that submitted such great entries to the ASIMO Essay Contest!
February 23, 2004 – And the winner is … !
American Honda is pleased to announce that MS 390, a public school in Bronx, New York, is the winner of the ASIMO Essay Contest. MS 390 will receive a one-of-a-kind educational and interactive ASIMO demonstration on March 23, 2004.
The winning essay, which was compiled and written by Asetta Ramsey, with the help of her eight classmates, proposed that in the future, robots like ASIMO could be applied in a number of capacities, including underwater research, firefighting, piloting planes, protecting schools and the community, helping the elderly and even working as a diplomat in dangerous situations.
The essay also noted that ASIMO’s visit to the school would inspire students to "see science in a better and different way,” and that it would be a “once in a lifetime experience” for MS390 students and the surrounding community. Essays were judged on creativity, methodology and accuracy by a panel of scientists, engineers and educators.
The winning students are in grades 6-8 and take part in a robotics program called “RoboLab,” lead by their teacher, Ms. Eileen McNamee. The participating students are: Asetta Ramsey, Andrea Dove, Luz Villar, Joshua Hernandez, Max Cruz, Hawoly Diop, Jarette Billings, Kimisha Bostick and Ariel McKinley.
More than 564 students nationwide participated in the ASIMO Essay Contest, with entries from schools in 22 states. American Honda was extremely pleased with the quality of the essays, and would like to sincerely thank each and every student that participated. Each essay was full of interesting ideas and uses for humanoid robots, and we salute the creative energy and talent put into each contest entry.
We hope that all entrants benefit by this important exercise, and believe that everyone who participated is a winner and should be proud of his or her effort. It is unfortunate that ASIMO can only visit one school, but in the future, who knows?!
The names of all schools entering the contest are listed below on the ASIMO Honor Roll.
Stay tuned for more information about MS 390, and ASIMO’s first visit to the Bronx!
ASIMO Essay Contest Honor Roll
- A.N. Pritzker Elementary – Chicago, IL
- Arlington Science Focus School – Arlington, VA
- Augusta Preparatory Day School – Augusta, GA
- Cleburne County Elementary School – Heflin, AL
- Congress Middle School – Boynton Beach, FL
- Dedham Middle School – Dedham, MA
- Emma E. Sherman Elementary School – Henrietta, NY
- Forest Edge Elementary School – Reston, VA
- Fort River Elementary School – Amherst, MA
- Friendship Hill Elementary School – Point Marion, PA
- George White Middle School – Hillsdale, NJ
- Gettysburg Area Middle School – Gettysburg, PA
- H.B. Thompson Middle School – Syosset, NY
- Helena Intermediate School – Helena, AL
- J. I. Watson Middle School – Iowa, LA
- Jefferson Area Jr./Sr. High School – Jefferson, OH
- John M. Andersen Junior High School – Chandler, AZ
- Kankakee Area Career Center – Bourbonnais, IL
- Kennett Middle School – Kennett Square, PA
- Kennydale Elementary School – Renton, WA
- Kent Place School – Summit, NJ
- Lafayette Regional School – Franconia, NH
- Lincoln Elementary School – Palatine, IL
- Manchester Middle School – Richmond, VA
- Millstone Township Middle School – Clarksburg, NJ
- MS 390 – Bronx, NY
- Nelson County High School – Lovingston, VA
- New Athens Community Unit District #60 – New Athens, IL
- New Knoxville Local School – New Knoxville, OH
- North Douglas High School – Drain, OR
- North Elementary School – Orrville, OH
- North Layton Junior High School – Layton, UT
- Ocean Township Intermediate School – Ocean, NJ
- Our Lady Star of the Sea School – Cape May, NJ
- Plainview-Old Bethpage Middle School – Plainview, NY
- Prussing Elementary School – Chicago, IL
- Riverdale Middle School – Port Byron, IL
- Roosevelt Middle School – River Forest, IL
- Roslyn Road Elementary School – Barrington, IL
- Saddlebrook Preparatory School – Wesley Chapel, FL
- San Diego School of Creative and Performing Arts – San Diego, CA
- Southeast Middle School – Kernersville, NC
- Spring Hill Middle School – Bentonville, AR
- Swarthmore-Rutledge Elementary School – Sharon Hill, PA
- The Center for School Crisis Intervention and Assessment – Holyoke, MA
- The Honor Roll School – Sugarland, TX
- The Kenworthy School – Maitland, FL
- The Meadows School – Las Vegas, NV
- Waimea Middle School – Kamuela, HI
- Waukesha West High School – Waukesha, WI